Saturday, March 16, 2019

Midcap Play

For the longest time, the deck type I've most often played were weenie decks. Weenie, of course, means the crypt contains vampires of capacity 4 or less. I've always appreciated the speed with which the decks operated; getting 2-3 vampires ahead of your prey and predator means that, if I'm lucky, I can do some damage before my opponents are up and runni,ng.

However, there is a downside to playing weenies. Unless they were incredibly unlucky, veteran players would remain unfazed by sheer numbers, and had contingencies to deal with them. Usually, this meant some means of unlocking the vampires, whether by waking cards such as Forced Awakening or On the Qui Vive, or unlocking after combat, provided by such cards as Majesty and Earth Meld.

 Also, since vets tended to play with larger vampires, there was, more often than not, a wider range of options that they had at hand. In my case, I would have to hope that my combat cards were enough to either do damage or get away from the bigger minion. However, such was not always the case, and I often wound up with a field of torpored minions.

With new cards coming into play, and new decks becoming available, I've taken another look at my single Discipline decks, and have decided to use vamps that had the superior version of the Discipline. Generally speaking, this meant that I would be using vampires with capacities from 4-5, which would slow down getting minions out, but not by much. It would still be relatively faster than using the big vamps, which would allow me to set up more quickly, and do some damage before I get blocked.

Having vamps with the superior Discipline meant that I wouldn't have to pack Discipline Masters in my deck, which was the case with the weenie deck. This would streamline my deck designs by a little bit; normally, I packed 2-3 Discipline Master cards in the weenie decks. It also meant that I would have the full range provided by the superior Discipline. For example, this meant that I could bounce bleeds using Telepathic Misdirection, instead of using just +1 intercept.

So far, I've built the following single Discipline midcap decks (deck lists to be posted soon):
  • Obfuscate (OBF, group 4-5) - Using a combo of Night Moves and Spying Mission, the deck has done relatively well so far;
  • Presence (PRE, group 3-4) - This is a vote and bleed deck. It's still experimental, but getting a number of Princes made the voting more difficult to counter;
  • Celerity (CEL, group 2-3) - This is my version of the Celerity gun deck, but it had difficulty getting going in the one game I played it. It still needs a little tweaking.  
  • Auspex (AUS, group 2-3) - Bounce the bleed, and defend the Jack. That's pretty much it.
Of course, the fact that the decks rely on one Discipline means that I have to move fairly quickly, because going up against larger vamps is still a challenge. It also means that the decks are limited by what the discipline can do. For example, the OBF deck is primarily a stealth deck, with little intercept to protect myself from my predator.

At any rate, how the deck will do will depend on who is at the table, and what deck each player has brought. This means that the deck will do well at times, and crash and burn on other occasions. In my case, hopefully, the extra speed provided by the smaller vampires will make winning easier.


1 comment:

Chad Buenaflor said...

i miss playing this game