Thursday, December 23, 2004

Decks/Concepts I Will Never Play

One of the difficulties of playing VTES is that, due to the sheer number of clans and disciplines, it's impossible to play all concepts, unless one has a sizeable bank account. The best recourse is to decide what concepts one wants to play and focus on them.

In my case, there are concepts that I will never play, either due to the difficulty of getting the cards or the cheesiness (from my POV) of playing the concept.

1. Assamite, Ravnos, Tzimisce, Lasombra, Follower of Set - Each of these clans has a specific discipline (Quietus, Chimmerstry, etc) which makes it difficult to build around, as the necessary cards for these clans are difficult to obtain, i.e., Temptation, Skin Trap, Blood of Acid, etc. I could try getting the starter decks, but even the good cards come only 1 to a deck, and if one needs at least 6 to be effective... well, it's too much expense.

2. Immortal Grapple - I don't like this card due to the trump value that it has. Forcing a minion to use hand strikes only? I think that's a little overpowered, and a little cheesy. As a combat player, I'd rather try challenging concepts, like the Samedi's Thanatosis strikes, or my !Brujah baseball pitchers. Besides, it's a little difficult trading for this card.

3. Dominate - I've explained my dislike of this discipline. It's too versatile, and too cheesy. Stealth-Dominate bleeding is insane.

4. Pure stealth-bleed - by this I mean Obfuscate and Dominate/Dementation combination bleeders. I'd rather build my Protean stealth because it's not as cheesy.

5. Anson Master Madness - I truly hate this deck when it hits the table. It's difficult to get into combat, and the Revolts, Awakenings and Smiling Jacks handcuff the table so much I might as well just throw in the towel. Still, it's a deck which I would like to try to win against.

"Never" may be too long a time, but I'll probably stick to what I'm writing here regarding these concepts.

No comments: